Monday, September 17, 2012

Day 10: Last Teaching Day

My last day at Vasant Valley.  There wasn't a morning assembly because of the rain.  I am used to morning announcement over the intercom into my classroom but here all of the students gather in the courtyard to hear the days announcements.

I have a light day because of meetings, I will only be participating in five classes.  That just sounds strange.  My normal day is three teaching periods with one planning period.  It is also hard to adjust to class only being forty minutes long.  I feel like I blink and class is over.

One of the many things that I found interesting is that the principal teaches several classes a week.
I still don't fully understand the schedule but teachers do not teach the same subject at the same time every day.  I kept studying the posted schedules and I understand them in theory, but I have the feeling that I would get things confused.

I went with one of the classes to the computer lab.  This was one of my favorite rooms this week.  No it isn't because I love the computers but rather it had one very important thing - air conditioning.  The students were working on designing websites for their World War II projects.  Just like at home students were interested in looking at things on youtube and finding cute pictures.  But eventually they settled into their research areas and were searching for information that tied to specific research areas.
Students working on their World War II projects in the computer lab.

I was starving by the time lunch rolled around at 1:33 in the afternoon.  I had been sniffing the air to try and figure out what was for lunch and I kept thinking that it smelled familiar.  I got my lunch and was told it was a veggie burger.  My heart sank because I thought of all the tasteless veggie burgers I had ever eaten.  Well, I took a bite and was very pleasantly surprised, it was an aloo tikki burger or what is basically a potato cake sandwich.  It was beyond yummy.  If I thought that I could convince my own school cafeteria to serve them I would be very happy.

The McDonald's version of my favorite sandwich. It would be under 50 American cents, from the exchange rate, when I traveled.  
My day ended with the social science teachers taking us out to tea.  For Americans, this is out for a small bite to eat or a snack.  We went to the local mall, something that I have done many times.  In India  there is an added layer of security that I was not expecting, before we pulled into the parking garage the car was searched underneath and in the trunk and under the hood.  Then before we entered the elevators to go into the mall we were all searched as well.  The mall itself, looked like any other shopping mall, there were many stores that I recognized, big budget Hollywood movies playing and plenty of Western style food.  Much as I like seeing familiar things it is a little upsetting to see how widespread American foods, fashion, and music are.




No comments:

Post a Comment